Sunday, July 24, 2011

Who Says You Can't Go Home???


This weekend was my *gulp* 25th High School Reunion!  I can't believe that this much time has past since I was in high school!  Seriously...it can't be 25 years! Just can't be that long!  We got together at Trey Fisher's ranch (a place that I truly think is THE most beautiful piece of land in all of Texas!) and there were several people that were at this reunion that has never been to any in the past.  I think the invention of Facebook has allowed us to find people that moved to parts unknown, so they were able to know about our little get together.  While my graduating class was quite small, we all were

a pretty close group..in our own way.  I played the sister figure to all the boys...many of whom I wanted not to be considered a sister to and wanted to be much more...but I guess that if I had to play a role, that was a good one to play, cause 25 years later, they still respect me, love me, and I think would be there for me even today if I really needed them!  Great boys...love them lots!  All in all, everyone faired pretty well.  I think by now, we've all worked through all the junk of our early lives and have kinda figured things out.  Everyone has become successful in their own way and it was great to see that in spite of being from that school and getting the "education" we did that we've all done pretty well...may have taken some of us a little longer than others to "get it together", but I think for the most part, we all have.  The boys have all settled down with some really nice girls, and seem to be good dads and providers--some had to try a couple of times to find someone, but all in all they ended up with a good girl.  Some of the kids are spitting images of their parent and it was fun to see the next generation.  I had to laugh at our conversation about "kids these days" and how difficult and different it was from when we were younger.  What an old conversation to have!  Who would have thought that 25 years ago we would have had that conversation...we seemed like a bunch of old people chatting about the good ol' days!  Guess we really are grown ups!

Smile:  What did I smile about?
I had a lot of laughs this weekend...remembering old times and making new memories. We made fun of each other like the good ol' days and had a great time laughing at and with each other!

Celebrate:  What did I celebrate?
I celebrate that although I'm not in the best shape of my life...and am about 20 lbs heavier than I would like to be at the moment...I think I look pretty darn good for having graduated from high school 25 years ago!  I think it has to be the good clean living that I've had all these years!

Love:  What do I love?
I can't describe how beautiful my home town is...the Texas Hill Country is a beautiful part of the world, however seeing the rolling hills, the cedar, the oak trees, the deer, the Guadalupe River, the stars in the sky at night...just beautiful!  So peaceful, so beautiful, so lovely!  If you haven't been to that part of Texas...go...you won't be sorry!

Thought for the day:
There's a song...of course by Bon Jovi...that I think is quite appropriate for this weekend 

"Who Says you Can't Go Home?"

I spent 20 years trying to get out of this place 
I was looking for something I couldn't replace 
I was running away from the only thing I've ever known 
Like a blind dog without a bone 
I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone 
I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold 
I been there, done thatand I ain't lookin' back on the seeds I've sown, 
Saving dimes, spending too much time on the telephone 
Who says you can't go home

[Chorus] 
Who says you can't go home 
There's only one place they call me one of their own 
Just a hometown boy, born a rolling stone, who says you can't go home 
Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact 
There's only one place left I want to go, who says you can't go home 
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright, its alright

I went as far as I could, I tried to find a new face 
There isn't one of these lines that I would erase 
I lived a million miles of memories on that road 
With every step I take I know that I'm not alone 
You take the home from the boy, but not the boy from his home 
These are my streets, the only life I've ever known, 
who says you can't go home

[Chorus]
I been there, done that and I ain't looking back
It's been a long long road 
Feels like I never left, that's how the story goes

It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter where you go 
If it's a million miles aways or just a mile up the road 
Take it in, take it with you when you go, 
who says you can't go home

[Chorus]
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright, its alright 
Who says you can't go home [x2]

No comments:

Post a Comment