Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shaken...not stirred...

I WAS IN AN EARTHQUAKE!!!

I had to travel to Richmond, VA for a meeting today and while sitting in a conference room at the Hilton Garden Inn talking about exciting things like the impact to associates and customers will have after we make a particular change in my business...we felt the earth move under our feet. At first we all thought it was the air conditioner kicking into over drive, or someone was trying to move something down the hall and was shaking the floor...we didn't know what it was until it went on for several seconds and someone said "you know, Richmond is on a fault line..." At that point, we all hopped up, got our purses, tried to determine if we should bring our work computers and ran outside.  Once outside, we all stood and looked up at the building trying to see what was happening...probably a pretty stupid move to do, as if there really was something going on, we would have been in a bad spot.  I think that I need to read that book "Worst Case Scenario Survival Guide to determine what I need to do in situations like this should this happen in the future (as we know...my travel experiences tend to be more exciting than I really would like them to be--remember the hurricane last year??)  At any rate they clocked the earthquake at a 5.9 on the richter scale and it was felt as far north as Massachusetts and far west as Ohio.  Our offices in Maryland closed early and there was rumor that the building had some damage.  Was quite an exciting day for me and many others.  While there were not casualties that I'm aware of, and the shock only lasted maybe a minute, it was still a memorable event.  You can read more about the story here:  Virginia earthquake rattles East Coast-CNN.com

So...what am I smiling, celebrating and loving today??? Well...that's pretty easy...I'm loving the fact that while this could have been a very bad situation, we all were ok.  Life is good and all is well in the world (well, not all well with the world, a hurricane is heading for the east coast, the economy is horrible and TX still is in the 100+ degrees!).  God is good and I'm alive!  Just a little shaken...but not stirred!
Thought for the day:  
We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to
Turn it all around or to throw it all away
We gotta tell them that we love them
While we got the chance to say
Gotta live like we're dying  --Live like you were dying-Kris Allen


And...of course, the theme song for the day....

No comments:

Post a Comment